Social Purpose Community Summer Meet 2022
By Tessa Vanderkop, Social Purpose Strategist, United Way Social Purpose Institute
July 20, 2022
If milestones make the movement, then social purpose in business is pushing full steam ahead into the business mainstream.
On July 13, the United Way BC Social Purpose Institute celebrated the first Canadian Social Purpose Community Summer Meet-Up. The event drew over 40 participants from across the country to meet, share and learn about the latest updates in the social purpose community. Special guest Maureen Young, Vice President Social Purpose, is leading the pivot to purpose at Coast Capital, laying the foundations across the organization, earning them a Platinum rating from Corporate Knights, who conducted the world’s first rating of social purpose companies. Embedding purpose at the highest level of the organization, including leadership and governance, to engaging and educating employees, has helped pave the “purpose” path at Coast over the last 18 months.
Other Purpose Economy milestones highlighted by Coro Strandberg, Advisor to the Social Purpose Institute, include:
• “Celebrating Four Years of Purpose” blog celebrating the SPI’s social purpose achievements since its launch.
• “Propelling the Canadian Purpose Economy: A Framework for Action” provides an overview of the levers to accelerate social purpose in Canada.
• “Promoting Purpose in Canadian Public Policy: Options for Governments in Canada to Accelerate Social Purpose in Business” provides a list of measures governments at all levels can pursue to create an enabling environment for social purpose business.
• “Social Purpose Assessment Tool” provides 25 criteria for self-assessing social purpose implementation.
• “Corporate Knights Social Purpose Rating” evaluates 34 Canadian companies for their progress in implementing their purpose. It includes a roadmap for social purpose governance and implementation.
Breakouts provided participants with an opportunity to meet and share what excites them about the growth of purpose with common themes emerging. The mobilization of Canadian CEOs’ on social purpose by a group of CEO purpose champions and learning that B Corp is considering making social purpose a requirement in the next iteration of its framework in 2023 signalled that purpose is indeed accelerating in Canada.
Be sure to stay up to date with all things purpose by signing up for our newsletter and encourage your network to join the social purpose community too! We are 1,500+ strong and growing! See you on the purpose path!