Celebrating Four Years of Purpose!
By Coro Strandberg, Advisor, United Way Social Purpose Institute
June 16, 2022
We are excited to celebrate with the Canadian Social Purpose Community the launch of the United Way Social Purpose Institute (UW SPI) four years ago on June 4, 2018.
United Way BC (then United Way of the Lower Mainland) founded the Social Purpose Institute to foster its vision of a healthy, caring, inclusive community. It created the UW SPI to support businesses to create a social purpose as the reason they exist and unleash business assets as a force for good.
Please celebrate with us by joining our first Social Purpose Community Summer Meetup on July 13, 2022, 1 – 2 pm ET and 10 – 11 am PT. Go to this link for more information and to register!
Here are our TOP 10 milestones we are celebrating since our launch in 2018:
- 40 companies have defined, and many have implemented, their social purpose as the reason they exist. Check them out here!
- Six of them were rated “Platinum” by Corporate Knights for their excellence in social purpose implementation, showing that our programs help set companies up for social purpose success.
- We issued the Social Purpose Assessment Tool to help social purpose companies identify strategies to authentically integrate their social purpose in everything they do.
- We co-created the Social Purpose Association Framework to help business and industry associations embrace social purpose as the reason they exist.
- We developed policy measures that local, provincial, and federal governments can pursue to create an enabling environment for social purpose business.
- We held the first-ever national Social Purpose Summit, bringing together 300 people to co-create the Canadian Purpose Economy Roadmap.
- We held the first-ever Purpose in Business Week, in which the City of Vancouver and the City of Burnaby declared Purpose in Business Week and companies and allies shared their social purpose commitments.
- We launched a Framework for Action to Propel the Canadian Purpose Economy.
- As of today, over 1,500 people are engaged in the Social Purpose Community, and we are looking forward to welcoming many more (encourage your networks to stay up to date with purpose news by signing up for our newsletter).
- Held dozens of workshops and panels introducing social purpose to businesses and helping social purpose businesses bring their purpose to life. Contact us if you would like us to make a social purpose presentation to your industry or professional group on the opportunities and benefits of adopting and pursuing a social purpose.
We are excited to be sharing these achievements with you as we accelerate the Purpose Economy and Social Purpose in Business, helping business to unlock their passion and potential for good in our communities.
Reach out if your company, or a company you know, would like to join a cohort to define their social purpose North Stare, and feel free to connect with your ideas and inspiration as we co-create the Purpose Economy together.
Thank you for all your efforts to accelerate social purpose in business and for collaborating with us to create a better world through business.